Dr. Sonjia is the best-selling author of Sex in South Beach, a certified sexologist, and professor of medicine. She received her bachelors degree from UCLA and earned two masters degrees along with her doctorate at Columbia University in New York (also where Dr. Ruth trained!). During grad school and a post-doctoral fellowship for the National Institutes of Health, Dr. Sonjia conducted research on sex problems, sexually transmitted diseases, and sexual satisfaction.
Her early faculty appointments were at New York University and the City University of New York, where she taught human sexuality. In 2003, Dr. Sonjia was recruited to teach at the medical school in the Cayman Islands, where she also provided sexual health counseling and wrote a popular sex column in the local newspaper.
The University of Miami (UM) School of Medicine recruited Dr. Sonjia in 2007 to develop programs addressing HIV in Miami-Dade County, which has the highest rates of new HIV infections in America. Since arriving to Miami, the South Florida community has consistently supported Dr. Sonjia in her mission to improve sexual health and romantic relationships. In addition to her sexual health expertise, Dr. Sonjia is a dynamic public speaker and strategic businesswoman who makes you laugh until your stomach hurts.
Dr. Sonjia’s scientific accomplishments have been featured in more than a dozen local publications and countless academic journals. She influenced national policies when she met with President Obama’s AIDS czar in Washington D.C. and she enhanced regional sex education through her popular column in the Miami Sun Post. In her free time, Dr. Sonjia volunteers at Lotus House women’s shelter and under-resourced schools throughout South Florida.
- 2014 -University of Miami Department of Public Health Sciences – Continuous Leadership
- 2014 – Legacy – Miami-Dade’s 25 Most Influential and Prominent Black Women in Business and Leadership
- 2013 – EPIC – Non-fiction Book of the Year
- 2013 – Miami-Dade Women’s Commission – “Woman of Year” for health and human services
- 2011 – Ford Motors Company – Freedom Sister for South Florida
- 2010 – Miami Herald – Miami’s top 20 leaders under 40 years old
Recent Public Speaking Engagements
- 2016 – WPLG News, ABC local affiliate
- 2016 – WeWork, Miami Beach
- 2016 – Jazz in the Gardens Women’s Impact Leadership Conference, Turnberry Isles Resort
- 2016 – University of Miami Department of Medicine Grand Rounds
- 2015 – South Florida Book Festival, African American Research Library and Cultural Center
- 2014 – Keynote, Women’s International Holistic Center, Lipstick Power Lunch, Hollywood
- 2014 – Hot Topics Business Consortium, Juana M. Brickell, Miami
- 2013 – NBA Penis Monologues, Colony Theatre, Miami Beach
- 2013 – HeartCamp, Miami
- 2012 – Women’s International Holistic Center, Empowerment & Leadership Conference
- 2012 – Keynote for Graduation Celebration, University of Miami, Student National Medical Association
- 2011 – Women’s Success Summit, Miami’s Largest Conference for Entrepreneurial Women, Gulfstream Park
Born in San Francisco, California and raised by civil rights activists, Dr. Sonjia now lives in South Beach, Florida with her attorney husband and brilliant son. After years of trying to fix sex and intimacy problems among her patients, Dr. Sonjia started focusing on how to make sex better, hoping people could prevent problems before they start!
Sex is the elephant in the room. No one talks about it and America suffers more sex problems than most developed nations. Good sex improves relationships and helps couples stay together. Long-lasting, fulfilling relationships are linked to better health, more happiness, increased wealth, and reduced risk for sex problems! Who wouldn’t want all that good stuff?
To get good at sex, or anything else, you’ve got to learn the ropes. Dr. Sonjia helps you learn and have fun along the way!
Let’s face it: America has nearly banned sex education. Few know how to develop sex skills and there are not many places to learn. As a result, relationships are less fulfilling, people cheat, contract STD’s, and divorces are more common than ever! To counter this chaos, Dr. Sonjia provides education to develop better bedroom skills and improve sexual satisfaction within your relationship.
Disguised as a fun-loving, free-spirit, Dr. Sonjia knows her science, knows when to get another expert involved, and knows how to entertain as she educates. Her academic work is recognized internationally, but she knows people learn best when they laugh, so she engages audiences with witty humor while providing serious sex education. Trained in New York as a stand-up comedian during grad school, Dr. Sonjia uses funny anecdotes to get her message across so people smile while learning strategies to enhance sexual satisfaction.
In her weekly sex article published in the Miami Sun Post, she surveyed adults in bars about their sex lives and provided education on challenges normal people experience in bed. Smart, straight forward, and slightly silly, Dr. Sonjia reflects the changing American population.
Rather than elderly, clinical, and non-sexual, she is young, multicultural, and loving life in Miami Beach, the sexiest city in America!